Sunday, January 16, 2011

HW 30-Illness & Dying-Culminating Experimental Project

  One dominant social practice that engulfs our people of this world is suicide. Every forty seconds on this earth someone commits suicide. In American every 18 minutes someone commits suicide. This act is an illness and can most certainly be categorized as an topic dominant social practice's of illness & dying. What I chose to explore was my own families experiences with the topic of Illness & Dying. First I interviewed my father about his experiences with death and I specifically asked him about his own experiences in Vietnam. He told me many stories about marines contracting rare strain's of syphilis and dying, "ingenious" jungle traps, and some of his own personal journeys that were surrounded with death. One of the first things he told me was that through out his entire time in Vietnam he lost each and every member of his original platoon of 13 men including himself. That was just the first tale that shook me to my core. I never realized just how lucky he was to make it out of there alive. Another story he told me was when he was asked by a group of men dressed in black to accompany them for a ride to transport Vietnam POW's on a chopper. He continued to tell me that once they were in the chopper these men began to interrogate these prisoners in Vietnamese and one by one as they were in interrogating these POW's the men in black would throw each man out until there were none of them left. My father just sat there and watched while this was occurring and thought to himself afterwords that these men must have not gotten the information that they wanted from the prisoners. Later on in our conversation he told me that the men dressed in black were members of the CIA. My fathers experiences in this story made me think, how do some people get to the point of bringing death upon another so easily? Why do we as humans constantly struggle for dominance over each other, I constantly ask myself why is war in our blood? I guess its just part of being human.

  The second person I interviewed was my 29 year old brother. I asked him about his experiences with Illness & Dying and he began to remind me about his old friend Tommy Hayes who died of a drug overdose as a result of PTSD from serving in the Army in Iraq. My brother told me he couldn't deal with what he saw and took part in while he was over there fighting, so he turned to drugs to get away from it all and it took him away from this earth. Being reminded of Tommy made me a little emotional at the time, but as well created me to think to myself. The act of committing suicide, why would someone do this to themselves? I can comprehend the aspect of using drugs to get away from what your thinking about but you should seek help if you have a hard time dealing with the things you have seen or that bother you. It strikes me as absurd that the amount of people in this world that don't reach out to other's for help and take their own problems into their own hands. I've come to the conclusion that when man is faced with a problem that they see no solution and can't destroy he will destroy himself. Why do some of us work like this and others don't? There are so many questions that will never be answered about human kind, maybe one day we will figure them out.

  The third part of my project I decided to do a little research of my own online. I read an article about a soldier who classified by another soldier who was a medic as having mental problems after fighting in iraq and the soldier was not admitted to a psychiatric evaluation. Now because of this soldier not being evaluated as a result he killed one of his Army buddies by stabbing him 32 times and burning his body. Now this soldier had a severe case of PTSD just like my family friend Tommy Hayes. After reading the entire article I understood and came to the conclusion that our leaders in the US military have a serious problem in controlling and  finding solutions of soldiers developing PTSD from serving on the front lines. What I discovered was that large amounts of soldiers are going through these problems and the cases of mental illness's and dying is only progressing as the years go on. What I've come to think of after taking all of this in is that we have a serious problem on are hands with our Military and the care of our men and women who serve our country with their lives. We need to find a better way of figuring out a solution to all of this. It saddens me that people join the military not knowing of these issues at hand and then get caught up in all of this.

  What I learned from all of this is that there are many unanswered questions about the human race that will remain unanswered for who know how long. As well what I've learned is that the military promotes an atmosphere of illness and dying. If you don't know how your going to be able to handle this type of environment then you shouldn't even think of putting yourself in a place where all of these horrible things have the possibility of getting to you. Dealing with illness all around you, witnessing death in the masses, and living with your friends committing suicide are all aspects of illness & dying that are dominant social practices in our culture as humans. For centuries we have all gone through this, every where through out this earth. These things show although we have been doing these things like rituals for centuries we are an ever changing people that will one day find explanations for these problems and ways to create solutions to make them happen less than more often as in todays earth. These things matter because these practices are the results of our interactions with one another and until the day we can figure out a resolution to act civilized to each other things such as these will only continue to occur and more of our people will continue to die for nothing.

PS: I had a insight that I thought was relevant to this project: Suicide can be defined as a permanent solution to a temporary situation.

Citations:
- http://www.gsfso.org/PTSD.html
- http://www.gsfso.org/Suicide.html

3 comments:

  1. I was particularly interested in the third part of your piece. You mentioned that one shouldn't get involved in any aspect of the military unless they are absolutely sure that they can handle the repercussions, one of which can be post-traumatic stress disorder. I agree to an extent, of course death and illness is something that walks hand in hand with fighting and warfare, but how can someone be fully informed and prepared for this? And how should the military go about educating perspective recruits? It isn't really imperative, however I would be interested to know your position on "preparation" for these kinds of instances. As for your insight on suicide, I couldn't agree more. As someone who has lost my share of family members to suicide and it's accomplice, depression; I am more than aware of its destructive nature. I agree that the issue is most likely something that can be addressed and worked on over time. When you spoke about the suicide of your family friend, Tommy Hayes, I was immediately able to relate to your feelings of confusion, and disappointment, and admire the sense of resolve that I felt from you in that paragraph. It was overall a very well written and thought provoking essay. :]

    -Ericka

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! What great insight on a very difficult topic. There are so many things I could comment on, but most importantly I wanted to point out that I think you answered a question you posed later in your blog. You were wondering why someone would actually committ suicide and why some will and other's will reach out for help instead. I think when you pointed out in the first paragraph that suicide stems from a disease, is very true. Just like someone who has a disease like cancer, if they don't pursue treatment, it can eat away at them and they not get better. I think the same is true for suicide. If the problem leading a person to kill themselves is not identified, it too can eat away at a person until, it unfortunately kills them. It is a very depressing subject, but one that definetly needs attention. You really bring up a great point about the military needing to delegate more time and effort to combating this problem. Rather than making sure an enlisting person is aware of what they will experience by participating in the armed forces, the military itself should be more proactive in preparing them. Unfortunately, I think they are focused on so many other aspects of war, our poor men and women and their mental states are yet another casualty of war. It is very sad to think that many of them are serving our country only to live in a constant state of mental unrest for the remainder of their lives once their service is complete.

    It was very interesting how you wonder how some people could bring death upon others so easily. I don't think I agree with you that it is just part of human nature. For certain people that may be true, but deep down we know what is wrond and what is right. I think some people are so blinded by war and what they are fighting for they lose sight of normalcy and civilized behavior.

    You really showed alot of great insight and I hope you get some of the questions you posed answered as you experience life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also wanted to make a comment that your insight at the end of your blog was very interesting--"Suicide can be defined as a permanent solution to a temporary situation". I think that is how it can be defined for someone who is not contemplating suicide. Unfortunately though, when someone is in that place, I do not think they believe it is a 'temporary place'. If they did, they probably wouldn't be considering suicide in the first place. It is a very sad situation overall.

    ReplyDelete