Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Extra Credit Opportunities - COTD1 Grave Yard Project.










   These are just some of the pictures that I took with my father when I visited the two closest cemeteries to my house. I visited Saint Paul's Episcopalian church and Trinity Church, both of these churches have grave yards in that are connected with them. When I walked through Trinity cemetery with my father I felt as if I was at another funeral for my own family members. When we walked through although I felt like I was at a funeral I felt a feeling of peacefulness. There was much greenery around and birds flying everywhere so I had to feel at peace and relaxed. Although I felt at peace I found it hard as always to break my child hood rule when it comes to being around cemeteries. What I was taught as a child growing up in a catholic home and going to catholic school as a child was that whenever you see a cemetery you should never look at it directly and breathe because you don't want to breathe in evil sprits that the cemetery could contain. So while I was walking although I was breaking my rule at times I would close my eyes and breathe.

   Something that came into my mind when I was in Saint Paul's cemetery was how could someone be buried in such a huge structure. The reason for this question popping into my head is because of the huge mausoleum that was sitting in the corner of the cemetery on a huge bed of grass. I wondered how persevered the body or bodies were inside of the gigantic tomb, as well I wondered just how rich the family of this person was. The question of was this really a necessary use of money to spend on a person's death was something I was thinking about as I gazed at the top of the of the structure, it must of been at least 50 to 60 feet high. As well I  make some assumptions about the family of the deceased, either they were just plain out rich or maybe this man or woman had such an impact of the lives around that person that as a memorial they all decided that it was vest for the individual to be remembered in this way. As I continued walking I noticed that some of the graves around me were from the early nineteen hundreds and even the late eighteen hundreds. While I was reading the grave stones I imagined what the world must of been like during the time these people were put six feet under, I cringed. After reading about their death years I began to dwell on the topic of my own death, thinking about what year I could die in. Someone could be writing about my death being in the early two thousands, but then I decided that my own death is a topic I shouldn't be trying to predict because it is seen by my family as bad luck to talk about.

No comments:

Post a Comment