Monday, May 2, 2011

HW 51-Second Third of COTD Book.

                                                                 Mortician Diaries
                                                              By: June Knights Nadle

Precis:
The life long story of a funeral directors daughter, a woman fresh out of the graduating class of Cincinnati College of Mortuary science in 1945 starting out her career having a hard time starting out her own roots in the business and going along with the events that brought to the place she is now.


Quotes:
"She told me, "As the numbness faded, I was angry. I reached over and punched him on the arm. I told him dying on me was one thing. Leaving me with three teenage boys to raise was something else!" pg59

"When I presented him with the forms he had to sign for cremation, his anger flared and he said, "Just tell me what the bill is. I want to get the hell out of here!" No, he did not want an obituary published. No, he did not want any funeral service. No, he did not want any urn. Just use a cardboard box. I advised him he could come for the cremains on Wednesday at noon, and that is what he did, without speaking a word."pg 67

The first quote on page 59 stuck out to me the most. To have a reaction such as blankly feeling nothing and then to have the feeling turn to rage I can infer that there was a lot of resentment in that relationship. I mean maybe it was just that Donna had her own way of coping with her immediate grief before it really had a chance to settle in on her. I say this because when someone loses a loved one there are many different ways the individual could handle the problem. Immediate sadness, numbness, or lashing out with anger. But I guess for Donna the sadness will settle in later after she's done even realizing that her husband is gone and his responsibilities aren't as important as his life.

I don't understand how someone whom had lost his own with to suicide could go about acting like a mad man when it comes to dealing with her funeral demands. I mean to have lived with someone as long as this guy has to have a 20 year old son and to not even have a measly funeral for his own wife of 20 plus years, what kind of person could go about doing that? To me it seems that this man is either very heartless or on the other hand he could be hiding something that he is feeling, maybe resentment or maybe even there was unsolved marital issues that this man was dealing with. Maybe he felt resentment that he couldn't save her from herself. But then again who am I to say or judge him.

No comments:

Post a Comment