Tuesday, May 10, 2011

HW - Independent Research B.

   This weekend when I was in the subway I was transferring from the 6 train to the 2 train and as I was walking into the train I ran into a  one of those crazy christian religious fanatics that was passing out flyers promoting christian extremism. He was spewing all this garbage about all non believers being casted out to hell and the rapture saving all those faith to the lord Jesus Christ. I stopped the guy and had a short conversation with him about his views on his Extreme Protestant Christian religion. His views were very radical he was describing to me chapters of the book of god the bible what I recognized that he was saying was from the bible specifically Matthew 24:40. In that part of the bible Matthew is talking about the description of the rapture saying that god will descend down from the heavens and the faithful christian will be taken and all others will be cast down to the depth of hell. He also had some anti semitic views which I found to be disgusting, he said that , and I quote "the Blacks, all the Jews and towel headed non believers of christ will be shunned and burn for eternity in hell". After I heard this I felt a little compelled to leave because this individual was out of his mind. Racial Extremism through the Christian view is just a pretty crazy just like most religions in their extremist form. This is the type of extremism that should not even be represented or seen as a part of the Christian religion. Growing up in  Catholic household  has taught me simply there was heaven and hell and if you committed sin you would have to go to confession and go to church every sunday as well. While I was in Catholic school I was taught all of this.

   For my interview I decided that once I was home from taking the train I would go to Saint Paul's Chapel which is an episcopalian church very close to my home. when I finally go there after walking from the train I went into the confession booth and talked to the father. After the confession booth I told the father that I wanted to interview him on his religious beliefs and what he think about to concepts of heaven and hell. So we sat in the first row of benches in the church and talked. He described to me that him being a follower of god he was taught at a young age as he was becoming a priest to preach the words of god at all times. He gestured multiple times to me that as a christian we are taught to believe that god created this good earth and that god hath the power to take it away and that one day, a day that we never know is coming. God will save all of his followers and bring them to heaven during the coming of Armageddon. What I liked that he told me was that all of these stupid people whom believe that the rapture will happen on May 25th or on all of these stupid dates are insane. The father told me that when the lord Jesus Christ himself decides the day will come, that that is the day it will be bestowed upon us. As well we as children of god do not know information such as this, so we being children of god make educated guess's and want to think that we really know but we really don't. According to the father only god knows and we will just have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment